Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Christian Despondency



For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more. Luke 12:48

The farther we go into our Christian walk, and the more we are committed with in the faith, the greater the risk of despondency (hopelessness, despair, feelings of inadequacy). This is what I have been struggling with myself for some time, and I want to share some resources to reference and scriptures to reach even the most battle-wearied hearts with what you need to hear and know to come out of it and be effective again for Christ.

First of all, here are two excellent articles...very revealing and helpful to the despondent Christian.

Battling the Unbelief of Despondency

The Danger of Becoming Battle-Weary

Secondly remember what the Lord has done already. Meditate upon God's mighty works in your life.
Will the Lord cast off forever? And will He be favorable no more? Has His mercy ceased forever? Has His promise failed forevermore? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies? And I said, "This is my anguish; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High." I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, and talk of your deeds. Psalm 77:7-12

Finally, remember that no matter how insufficient you are for the tasks at hand, no matter how overwhelming it may all seem, God is asking you to rely completely on Him for all of it. You don't have the strength, but He does. You don't have the resources, but He does. Replace doubt in yourself or your situation, with faith in Him and His power. (Phil. 4:19-20, Heb. 7:25-28, 2 Cor. 9:8)

Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, because He delights in mercy. He will again have compassion on us, and will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.(Micah 7:18-19)

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation. And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You. Psalm 51:10-13

But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner. For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. Hebrews 6:9-12 [see 6:1-12].

Love in Christ!

No comments: